(CHARLOTTE, N.C.) – SHARE Charlotte’s 3rd annual SummerSHARE campaign, presented by Bank of America, begins today (through Fri, July 21) and supports 116 local nonprofits. In the heat of the summer when donations are traditionally at an all-time low for many organizations, SummerSHARE drives donors to a newly designed online experience, called Give Shop, where needed items can be purchased and sent directly to the nonprofit of choice.
“The timing of SummerSHARE is critical for many nonprofits,” SHARE Charlotte’s Executive Director, Kelly Brooks said. “Donations sharply decline while there is an increase in the needs of struggling families.”
Some of the items needed most this summer include:
- Canned fruit to restock pantry shelves at Loaves & Fishes
- Body wash to provide basic hygiene for children checking in at Thompson
- Towels to provide dignity to Men’s Shelter of Charlotte visitors
- Backpacks filled with supplies for students tutored through Latin Americans Working for Achievement
- Paper towels for households in the Harvest Center of Charlotte’s transitional housing program
- A food processor to use in training at Community Culinary School of Charlotte
- Watercolor paints for Arts for Life patients to use
“SummerSHARE provides a unique way for the community to get involved and support nonprofits and their work when it is needed most,” said Andrea Smith, Chief Administrative Officer for Bank of America.
Last year’s SummerSHARE resulted in more than 4,200 items for 77 of Charlotte’s nonprofit organizations. This year SHARE hopes to inspire Charlotte neighbors and businesses to donate well over 5,000 items for its 116 nonprofit participants.
“We are excited to support this year’s SummerSHARE campaign, a fun and unique way to strengthen our community’s nonprofit resources,” said Dena R. Diorio, Mecklenburg County Manager.
To get involved, visit summershare.org and buy something off your favorite local nonprofit’s Give Shop Wish List, or engage with SHARE through the following campaign channels:
- Join Charlotte’s Young Professionals at the Fillmore for a nonprofit experience, #YPMixerCLT, on 7/12
- Check out a real life version of the “Give Shop” at Sycamore Brewing’s Food Truck Friday on 7/14
- Join SHARE at Camp North End on 7/21 for a SummerSHARE SELLabration
- Support local influencers as they crowdfund for participating campaign nonprofits
- Sign up for the SHARE email newsletter at sharecharlotte.org
SHARE Charlotte makes it fun and easy to invest in our local community by offering simple ways for neighbors, more than 400 nonprofits and businesses to come together through good. Through sharecharlotte.org and its signature campaigns, #GivingTuesdayCLT and SummerSHARE, SHARE Charlotte raises awareness about local nonprofits and increases the level of community engagement. SHARE Charlotte believes that by doing good, we create a stronger, happier Charlotte.