(CHARLOTTE, N.C.) – Today, local nonprofit SHARE Charlotte announced the total value of donations raised during its 3rd annual #GivingTuesdayCLT giving campaign: $7.2 million! The unveiling took place at Unknown Brewing Co this morning; NASCAR champion Jeff Gordon, Mayor Jennifer Roberts, Wells Fargo’s Kristi Thomas, Google Fiber’s Jess George, Jamie McDonald of the national Giving Tuesday team and SHARE founder Kelly Brooks spoke of their unique perspectives on the campaign.
The two-week #GivingTuesdayCLT campaign (Nov. 15 - 29) was co-presented by Google Fiber and Wells Fargo and encouraged the Charlotte community to give to local nonprofits. SHARE rallied more than 170 nonprofits, 80 local businesses, sponsors and community partners spanning from Lake Norman to Center City to Ballantyne -- with a unifying goal of doing good for Charlotte.
“#GivingTuesdayCLT is the biggest #GivingTuesday city campaign of 2016. We’ve been so inspired by the way the entire Charlotte community has rallied around this campaign. From the donors to the nonprofits to the large companies and small merchants, they’ve really shown the country the true spirit of Charlotte,” said Jamie McDonald. "I am overwhelmed by the generosity of our Queen City,” says Kelly Brooks, Founder of SHARE Charlotte. “We all needed something good to rally around and the fact that so many wonderful nonprofits benefitted is truly special.”
Outstanding #GivingTuesdayCLT Gifts and Accomplishments
- Campaign co-presenting sponsor Wells Fargo created a Give Good Fund of $250,000, a bonus to nonprofits who raised financial donations
- Bojangles’ hosted a SHARE night and donated more than $2,000 to the #GivingTuesdayCLT general fund
- Tech Talent South donated a scholarship for a code-immersion class worth $4,750 to one of the beneficiaries of Florence Crittendon Services
- The Red Boot Coalition exceeded its initial goal of $30,000 in financial donations in a campaign led by intern Julia Dorn
- OrthoCarolina gave $1,000 in matching funds to six different nonprofits
- Girls on the Run raised over $14,000 which is enough to support five teams of full scholarship girls at CMS Title I schools
- Brixx Wood Fired Pizza donated $3 for every Rustica pizza sold during the campaign which totalled $2,500 to the general fund
- The Isabella Santos Foundation exceeded its goal of $25,000 and is now able to add a business development professional to its team
- Redeeming Joy, Inc. will be able to begin furnishing its new 5,000 square-foot home
- Jeff Gordon Children’s Foundation raised over $140,000 toward pediatric cancer research
"As we continue to build out our network and connect more and more Charlotteans, Google Fiber is excited to support great organizations and events like #GivingTuesdayCLT. We believe in SHARE Charlotte's vision that everyone can be a philanthropist and that every gift is important,” said Jess George, Community Impact Manager, Google Fiber-Charlotte.
While the donations raised during the campaign are certainly monumental, SHARE encourages the community to give all year round. Nonprofits always need help, financial support and love from the community in order to keep doing their great work. Learn more about and connect with Charlotte’s nonprofits at SHAREcharlotte.org.