At Brave Step, we work to build a strong, supportive community by helping adults impacted by sexual violence claim the life they deserve; fostering brave public conversations about sexual violence; and cultivating a community of courageous changemakers to take action and help prevent future sexual violence.
How do we do that? In a number of ways:
- Adult Survivor Care: Brave Step serves as a steadfast guide for adult survivors of sexual violence on their personal journey to wellbeing, empowerment and claiming the life they deserve. To help survivors claim the life they deserve, Brave Step uses a multi-faceted healing model that includes individual counseling, group therapy, peer-led support groups, empowerment programs, and ways to find one’s voice.
- Loved Ones: Brave Step believes that loved ones of sexual violence survivors can play a crucial role in helping survivors claim the life they deserve if effectively armed with knowledge, skills, and support from others in similar experiences. In addition to counseling, Brave Step has a unique psychoeducation program for loved ones. The program creates a trauma-informed environment and process to safely express one’s emotions; builds a baseline of knowledge on sexual violence; and provides tangible ways to support the survivor short and long term.
- Changemaker: Fostering brave public conversations about sexual abuse is at the heart of what we do. It is our responsibility to inform the community on the impact of sexual abuse, preventative measures to take and how we can collectively fight this pervasive and devastating issue.
- One in four women and one in six men are reported survivors of sexual violence.
- 60% of sexual assaults are not reported to police.
- Recent data states that more than half of women and one-fourth of men are violated in their lifetime.