Changed Choices exists so that women who have experienced incarceration can lead restored lives marked by healthy decisions, contribution to their communities and self-sufficiency. We work with women throughout their journey, from arrest to re-entry:
- Staff and volunteers provide evidence based classes and mentor programs to women serving at the Mecklenburg County Detention Center (MCDC). Interested women can apply to become a client of Changed Choices.
- Our Pre-Release Program, two to three years before a woman's release, lays the foundation for successful transition. During this time, clients work with our coaches to create a Vision Plan focused on goals and action steps.
- We continue journeying with clients as they return to the community. Our coaches and volunteers provide the tools and resources our clients need for successful independent living in our community. Changed Choices also owns a six-bed home near public transportation in Mecklenburg County.
- Our Client programming serves women impacted by incarceration, from arrest to reentry, through comprehensive case management and spiritual support.
- More than 80% of our clients are mothers, and the custodial parent before their incarceration.
- Since inception, less than 4% of our clients have been rearrested, compared to national rates of 38% for women.