What We Do
International House helps immigrants and international culture thrive in our community.
When our immigrant neighbors thrive, our entire community thrives. Here's how:
- International House offers cultural programs such as language conversation hours, our international book club, an international women's group, a young professional's group and more.
- Our Immigration Law Clinic focuses on uniting families, serving the disadvantaged and offering a preventive approach to legal advocacy. The Clinic assists qualified low-income foreign residents by providing legal representation and access to other resources to guide them through the complexity of U.S. immigration law.
- The Citizen Diplomacy Program plays an important role in America’s citizen diplomacy efforts by partnering with the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to implement U.S. Government sponsored programs including the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP), Community Connections, and Open World. These programs enable leaders from other countries to experience American democracy, civil society and culture.
- Our Adult Education program enables economic independence and helps create a more inclusive Charlotte by providing the region’s immigrants with the English language abilities and life skills needed to actively participate in our community, prepare themselves for better job offerings, pass the U.S. citizenship exam, and foster family success. Our programming includes both formal classroom instruction, personalized tutoring, and opportunities to engage in informal conversation with native English speakers.
- The Rising Readers summer program fills an urgent need in bridging the gap between the end of one school year and the start of another school year for young English Language Learners. The program is free for students, and, and in addition, they also receive meals, book bags and school supplies to further enhance their learning growth.
Please visit us at ihclt.org for more information.
- In 2022, International House served over 5,000 neighbors by offering education, legal services, cultural awareness, and foreign delegation opportunities.
- In 2022, International House enrolled more than 600 Elementary students and more than 290 adults in our ESL and CPP classes.
- In 2022, our Immigration Law Clinic opened 605 cases and filed 334 cases.
GIVE SHOP® WISH LIST
Photos and Videos