An integral part of A Better World's success with the iReady program is consistency and 1 on 1 support. Last year, we reported a significant improvement in our scholars' academic performance, and while our afterschool program provides the environment students need to succeed, it was the diligent contribution of ABW volunteers that really helped to move the needle. Reading Buddies worked once a week with scholars in person and online to reinforce reading, writing, and spelling skills. Utilizing a customized lesson plan provided by ABW, volunteers helped scholars to confidently soar towards success!
This year, A Better World is seeking to duplicate results from the 2022-2023 academic year, but we can't do it without you! We are excited to have welcomed 15 volunteers to our ABW campus, and we are working steadily to increase that number. Consider working with our students or telling a friend about the program, we are looking forward to continued progress!
- In combination with iReady, the Reading Buddy volunteer program offers additional aid in increasing the student’s reading level.
- One-on-one direct educational guidance is provided to students on a weekly basis for 30-45 minute session, using an iReady assignment tailored to their unique reading level.
- This educational guidance is delivered by a Reading Buddy volunteer in-person or virtually through Zoom.
- The Reading Buddy received the assignment in advance so they are comfortable with the upcoming direct one-on-one session.
- Having a consistent Reading Buddy promotes self-confidence, trust, and a sense of security for the child.
- The Reading Buddy program also inherently improves the student’s overall welfare.
- This initiative combines modern technology with human empathy to enrich the lives of at-risk youth both academically and emotionally to guarantee success in reading proficiency.