What We Do
Learning Help Centers of Charlotte provides scholastic, spiritual, and social supports to empower at-risk families to lift themselves out of generational poverty.
We engage with at-risk families through weekly homework support, mentoring and annual summer enrichment camps for children, mentoring and crises interventions for parents, and family enrichment events, all of which strive to educate and empower parents and children to become community leaders
We provide five key services to the communities in which we serve.
1) After school homework and literacy support for predominantly refugee and immigrant children ages 3 to 16, utilizing professional resources and in partnership with community schools to assure student success. Our goal is to motivate students and improve literacy and reading, math proficiency, and to improve overall school grades. We aim to reverse the adverse rate of drop-outs from high school trend
2) Summer Literacy & Enrichment Camps - “Shaping their Future” children’s programs comprise learning, character development and academic enrichment, work ethic development, educational field trips, sports, swim clinics, and a whole lot more … for six weeks, at no cost to those we serve. We typically attract about 50 students each week from neighboring communities attend our annual summer camp program.
3) Family Stabilization - Residents receive financial assistance, in consultation with resident staff and volunteers. We welcome new community residents, build resident community with events and offer targeted services like conversational English workshops, parenting classes, financial literacy job assistance. The success of this service is measured by changed lives and breaking generational poverty
4) Year Round Sports - Special programs throughout the school year including sports ~ soccer, volleyball, arts and crafts ~ painting/drawing and music.
5) Family Enrichment - Trusting relationships with residents and children affords us the opportunity to offer programs that enrich the lives of those we serve. The success of this service is measured by changed lives and empowered community members serving one another.