What We Do
Learning Help Centers of Charlotte provides scholastic, spiritual, and social supports to empower at-risk families to lift themselves out of generational poverty.
We engage with at-risk families through weekly homework support, mentoring and annual summer enrichment camps for children, mentoring and crises interventions for parents, and family enrichment events, all of which strive to educate and empower parents and children to become community leaders
We provide five key services to the communities in which we serve.
1) After school homework and literacy support for predominantly refugee and immigrant children ages 3 to 16, utilizing professional resources and in partnership with community schools to assure student success. Our goal is to motivate students and improve literacy and reading, math proficiency, and to improve overall school grades. We aim to reverse the adverse rate of drop-outs from high school trend
2) Summer Literacy & Enrichment Camps - “Shaping their Future” children’s programs comprise learning, character development and academic enrichment, work ethic development, educational field trips, sports, swim clinics, and a whole lot more … for six weeks, at no cost to those we serve. We typically attract about 50 students each week from neighboring communities attend our annual summer camp program.
3) Family Stabilization - Residents receive financial assistance, in consultation with resident staff and volunteers. We welcome new community residents, build resident community with events and offer targeted services like conversational English workshops, parenting classes, financial literacy job assistance. The success of this service is measured by changed lives and breaking generational poverty
4) Year Round Sports - Special programs throughout the school year including sports ~ soccer, volleyball, arts and crafts ~ painting/drawing and music.
5) Family Enrichment - Trusting relationships with residents and children affords us the opportunity to offer programs that enrich the lives of those we serve. The success of this service is measured by changed lives and empowered community members serving one another.
IMPACT OF COVID-19 - SPECIFIC NEEDS:
Special financial donation request: donations are being applied to help provide groceries and deliver meals to children during the next 9 weeks of public school summer vacation as well as supply meals and dry food items to no or low income families
Specific Volunteer Needs: We are seeking kids meal packers, drivers and delivery helpers to distribute meals from our caterer to the families we serve. 60 to 90 minutes. Volunteer safety and social distancing is our #1 goal
Give Shop® Wish List
|Learning Help Centers of Charlotte Volunteer Meal Delivery & Food donations||
Repeats every week on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday until Fri Jul 24 2020.Friday, July 10, 2020 - 10:00am
|Read more »|
|Learning Help Centers of Charlotte ~ High-School & College Interns for 2020 Fan into Flame Summer Enrichment Camps||
Repeats every 4 days until Fri Aug 21 2020.Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 9:00am
|Read more »|
|College Internship ~ Social Media and Blogger||
Repeats every week until Sun Sep 27 2020.Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 2:30pm
|Read more »|