Learning Help Centers of Charlotte provides scholastic, spiritual, and social supports to our neighbors. We engage with at-risk families through weekly after-school homework support, mentoring and annual summer enrichment camps for children, mentoring and crises interventions for parents, and family enrichment events. All of these things strive to educate and empower parents and children to become community leaders. We provide five key services to the communities in which we serve.
1) After School Homework and Literacy Support/Tutoring- This is for predominantly for children from underserved communities, Kindergarten-Early high school. Our goal is to motivate students, improve literacy and reading, math proficiency, teach and improve study skills, build lasting relationships and to improve overall school grades. We aim to reverse the adverse rate of drop-outs and to equip these children with college and career readiness skills.
2) Summer Literacy & Enrichment Camps - Our summer camp program includes reading and literacy support, STEM activities, character development, academic enrichment, work ethic development, educational field trips, sports, arts and crafts, music, and much more. We typically attract about 50 students each week from neighboring communities attend our annual summer camp program.
3) Family Stabilization - Residents receive financial assistance, in consultation with resident staff and volunteers. We welcome new community residents, build resident community with events and offer targeted services like conversational English workshops, parenting classes, financial literacy job assistance. The success of this service is measured by changed lives and breaking generational poverty.
4) Project FITness - In collaboration with Atrium Health, and Mecklenburg County Public Health we are offering weekly programs to educate our families on nutrition, exercise, and how to live a healthier life. Our parents participate in yoga, Zumba, cooking and nutrition classes, and mental health programs. Their vitals and BMI are checked by doctors and nurses and they are given individualized reports to improve their health and wellness. The children our participating in sports and exercise with Sports Outreach.
5) Family Enrichment - Trusting relationships with residents and children affords us the opportunity to offer programs that enrich the lives of those we serve. The success of this service is measured by changed lives and empowered community members serving one another. Activities range from holiday celebrations to community events, and much more.
- We recently renewed three accreditation awards in 2023 from GreatNonProfits BBB and Platinum level GuideStar for transparency in financial reporting
- We work directly with students and their parents. Kinship relationships mean everything!
- We go to the people, learn from them, love them, and empower them, but don't do for them what they can do for themselves