It's probably no surprise that the most popular post from November's Smarty SHARE blog was about holiday giving. The time for some of these ideas has passed, but there's still good info here for the last minute shopper (and don't forget that giving can happen at any time of the year)!
Maybe Christmas, the Grinch thought, doesn’t come from a store. – Dr. Seuss
Looking for a way to give back as a family this holiday season? Many families get involved through their local church or community center, but if you’re looking for something new or a little different, we’ve got some suggestions for you!
– Changed Choices invites you and your family to share the joy of the holidays with women who are separated from their kids and community due to incarceration. You choose the number of cards you’d like to write, and you’ll receive instructions about sending mail to jail or prison and a confidential return address to use.
– Charlotte Rescue Mission is an option if your family would like to volunteer in person on Christmas day to serve a meal. To get a spot you have to act fast (sign-ups will happen on December 3rd), but you can get the details now. (Note from SHARE: This opportunity has passed, but be sure you receive our Weekly SHARE emails to keep informed about new stuff coming up! Sign up as a Neighbor to get on the list.)
– Ronald McDonald House invites guest families and the families of critically ill children in their partner hospitals to come in and select holiday gifts for their family members at no cost. Help supply this special Holiday Shop! Get started with the wish list. (Note from SHARE: The House has a year-round wish list as well.)
– Alexander Angel Network is the largest in-kind annual gift collection for the children of Alexander Youth Network. (Note from SHARE: Alexander Youth Network has a ton of volunteer opportunities. Sign up for one as part of your New Year's commitment to give back!)
– GivngTuesdayCLT is a collaborative of 64 local nonprofits that have joined together to make it easier for you to learn about them and give – through either money or time – on Giving Tuesday, Dec. 2nd. (Note from SHARE: Find out how #GivingTuesdayCLT went! Click here.)
Of course, you can give back to your community all year long, not just during the holidays. Visit SHARE Charlotte for ideas.