SummerSHARE 2018 Press Release
SHARE Charlotte’s SummerSHARE Heats Up During a High Time of Need
Local organization encourages the donation of tangible goods to 200+ nonprofits
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 16, 2018
(CHARLOTTE, N.C.) – SHARE Charlotte’s 4th annual SummerSHARE, Presented by Bank of America, kicks off today and will run through July 22. This week-long promotion encourages Charlotteans to “Shop for Good” by purchasing the tangible items nonprofits need to run their businesses and programs. Charlotte residents can shop SHARE’s proprietary Give Shop® and buy Wish List items for hundreds of organizations that serve Mecklenburg County.
Summer is the biggest time of need for many Charlotte nonprofits and unlike some giving campaigns that encourage the more traditional donation of money or volunteer time, SummerSHARE is focused on the gift of tangible items. Obtaining funding for basic day-to-day operational needs such as office supplies can be a challenge for nonprofits, while others are in need of items to support their programs like bed sheets for shelters or swimsuits for campers.
“Nonprofits across Charlotte are working year-round to support the needs of our community,” said Charles Bowman, Bank of America market president for Charlotte and North Carolina. “SummerSHARE is a unique way to support them when they need it most.”
Hundreds of participating SummerSHARE nonprofit have created a Give Shop® Wish List on sharecharlotte.org where they feature the items they need. With just a few clicks, Charlotteans can easily purchase these items from their Wish Lists and they will be shipped directly to the nonprofit’s doorstep. SHARE Charlotte’s Give Shop® is an easy way for people to “Shop for GOOD” while knowing exactly where their money is going and enjoying the added convenience of not delivering the goods themselves.
“This is such a fun and easy way to support local nonprofits this summer” says Amy Jacobs, Executive Director of SHARE Charlotte. “In just a few clicks you can really make an impact on a local cause, while not even having to leave your office or home. And by purchasing something off a nonprofit’s wish list, you know your gifts are important and exactly where your money is going.”
Some of the featured items needed this summer include...
- School supplies and snacks for Bruce Irons Camp Fund to build back-to-school backpacks for their students
- Diapers, snacks and summer clothes for Thompson’s foster care essentials kits
- iFitness trackers to support the seniors at Body & Soul Senior Fitness
- New pots and pans so that House of Mercy can provide even more meals for those in need
- Postage stamps for Changed Choices so their incarcerated clients can receive mail
- Birdseed and gardening tools for Wing Haven Gardens and Bird Sanctuary
- Exercise balls are calming for the for the special needs clients of the Exceptional Foundation
- Color printer for the Carolina Refugee Resettlement Agency to print paperwork needed for the resettlement process for refugees
Official Sponsors of this year’s campaign include Cottingham Chalk, Google Fiber and Mecklenburg County. An additional 30 community partners are helping promote #summershareCLT.
As an incentive for the community to shop, Lyft is offering the first 200 shoppers $5 off of 3 Lyft rides ($15 total value) with the purchase of any item from a local nonprofit's Give Shop® Wish List at summershare.org.
SHARE Charlotte will be promoting SummerSHARE all over town this week. Visit any of these fun and festive events to meet local nonprofits, learn more and experience the SummerSHARE Pop-Up Shop for GOOD!
- Monday, July 16 , 6-8pm @ Anne Neilson Gallery - Join Kathy Izard (author of “The Hundred Story Home”) and Fashion & Compassion for a Collaborative Evening of GOOD!
- Wednesday, July 18th, 5-8 p.m. @ BB&T Ballpark - cheer on the Knights and learn about SummerSHARE through in-game activities and by visiting SHARE’s Pop-Up Shop for GOOD.
- Thursday, July 19, 6-8 p.m. @ The Fillmore - CLT young professionals can check out #YPMixerCLT where they can meet over 50 local nonprofits and learn about their SummerSHARE needs.
- Friday, July 20th, 5-9pm @ Camp North End - browse the Pop-Up Shop for GOOD during Friday Nights at Camp North End with live music, food, beer and more!
Visit summershare.org this week and shop for GOOD!
SHARE Charlotte connects Charlotte to good! SHARE provides a one-stop shop at sharecharlotte.org to connect to more than 400 local nonprofits, making it fun and easy for individuals and businesses to come together through good. Through SHARE’s signature campaigns #GivingTuesdayCLT, SummerSHARE and Do GOOD Week, SHARE raises awareness about local nonprofits and increases the level of community engagement. SHARE Charlotte believes that by doing good, we will create a stronger, happier Charlotte.
Media Contact: Corri Smith, email@example.com
sharecharlotte.org | Instagram & Facebook: @sharecharlotte | Twitter: @shareclt